Sunday, August 24, 2008

Trains Planes and Automobiles

Play Ground at the California Kids Club

Resting on th Subway

The subway through Shenzhen

One of the few moments she sat in her own seat

Air Bed

Yes she fits

Barbly

Who said sleeping on a plane is easy

In imigration with the official Brown Folder (got yelled at for taking this picture : )

Welcome to the USA
After working all morning at the California Kids Club in Shenzhen evaluating some of there more difficult children and speaking to their parents it was time to head home and I mean home to the good old USA. Our flight was taking off from Guangzhou at 9:00 pm. Will tried to cut his finger off just minutes before we headed out the door on a kitchen knife opening a bag of crackers for Annalise. We did our best to clean it up bandage it and get our butts out to the taxi waiting to bring us to the subway station. It was a Friday afternoon and the subway was packed we felt like sardines as we when though the 14 stops that brought us to the Train Station in Shenzhen. Once we found our way to the train and got our tickets it was time to board. Annalise was a trooper up until that point and she wanted to get out of her stroller. I don't blame her. But you have to push your way anywhere in China. We were the last to get on the train because Annalise kicked of one of her shoes and Will ran back for it but they closed the gate with the shoe on the other side. (dang I liked those shoes) The train too was packed. I havd a nice conversation with a lady that only spoke Chinese. You can only imagine all the gestures we used. When we got to Guangzhou we had to find a taxi to get back to the White Swan the first guy I asked wanted 150 yen I told him he was high and walked away we stood in line for a taxi like everyone else and it was only 45 yen. When in China do as the Chinese. When we got to the White Swan we had 5 minutes to shuffle the bags I was stuffing things everywhere I could and the Bell Men were helping me try to close the bags. By this time we were only an hour behind schedule, not too bad for world travelers. We made it to the gate in time to change cloths. I had to go to the bathroom and could not fit Annalise and the stroller in the stall with me so I opened the door, faced her to me and squatted she was quite amazed to see a squatty potty in action. During all of this Will is yelling from outside the bathroom door that they were boarding. We just made it on. I felt like we should be home but the journey was just beginning. We got in bulkhead, which I highly recommend with a baby. China Southern has baby beds that hook to the wall they are for children from 1-4 months but I asked for it anyways. It was great to throw all my crap in. Annalise fell asleep in my arms and I put her in the wall bed and when she tried to roll over and woke up she freaked out so I held her again she wanted to lay down so I put her on the floor. She hated the humming so I put he back in the wall bed and she decided it was the best option and slept the rest of the way in the wall bed with her feet hanging out. However I could not sleep thinking she may come flying out of that bed any minute. I can’t sleep on planes anyways. We landed at LAX around 6:00 pm and Annalise’s first reaction was to shiver the minute we got off the plane. She was missing her blanket of humidity but Will and I were so happy to feel the dryer air. We had been instructed by our agency that there had been some difficulties at LAX and they gave us an additional letter just in case. But we did not need it as the official walked us to the new immigrant area he got all chocked up and congratulated us and welcomed Annalise to America it was a very special moment for both of us. I throw her up into the air touched her feet to the ground and gave her the biggest kiss. We had made it home well almost home. Elisabeth, Bridgette and Katie met us at the imigation gate and we when to a hotel for the night. The next morning we met Will’s daughter Heather and it was so wonderful to have the girls together. Annalise just loved Heather and even let her hold her. Then it was time for the last leg of the journey LAX to Reno. When we got to Reno my parents and good friend Jacqueline was waiting for us but for Annalise it was the middle of the night and all she wanted to do was sleep. Welcome to America now let me introduce you to you constriction device. After all of the traveling she had done in my arms now she was strapped into her car seat and screamed at the top of her lungs from Reno to Minden about an hours drive. I just sat next to her hand held her handand rubed her face. By the time she fell asleep she opened her eyes just in time to pull into the drive way we were home!

1 comment:

Kim said...

LOVE the pictures...
Sounds like overall you had a pretty great trip home..
Have a Great Week..