Monday, August 11, 2008

First day of School






















After our bath we made our way to the California Kids Club. The school where Christi is teaching a class of 3-4 year olds. This was day 4 of their first week of school and everyone was settling in. Annalise made herself right at home in one of the little chairs. We found a square on the floor and I did a scarf lesson to music. These kids were no exception they had a blast and Annalise followed right along. These kids were fun to work with and typically developing not like what I’m use to in Special Education. One room had gym equipment in it and I felt right at home. The school has several classrooms that all lead to a common play area. I was asked to look at 3 children they were concerned with all who would qualify for Special Education Services in the US. I explained to the director that I could not make any diagnosis because that is not my job but I could make some recommendations to help them live and work with each child. I also had an opportunity to meet with 2 ladies that run the special needs program at the Shenzhen SWI. I think the biggest impact I may have made was sharing with them my thoughts on inclusion. What impacted me the most was that there is NO Special Education in China these kids have nothing. This school is doing the best it can for every child that walks in the door but there was a full time job for me there or for someone with Special Education background. I received an open invitation to come back and work anytime and I look forward to when I can take them up on their offer. What an opportunity.

5 comments:

Paula said...

Oh my gosh, Paulette, you must have been in heaven. That school is right up your alley. What a fun place, Annalise looks as though she loved it too!

Kim said...

HOW AMAZING...
Sounds like you had a wonderful time...
LOVE all the pictures...
Looks like Annalise is loving her Mommy...
Have a Great Week..

RamblingMother said...

What great pictures and how fun.

Anonymous said...

Hey Paulette -

So wonderful to meet you and Annalise at the White Swan. Sounds as if you are settling in well. Enjoy! Mary Lin is doing great - not the champion sleeper she was in China though!

Sincerely,
Amy B. CCAIWCP

Christi and Abbey said...

Yay! Love seeing all the photos and remembering your visit! You were amazing to come and do what you did, can you believe the plans God had for us from the time we first met?